2 Questions From A Newbie

• Hi all, great website! Just having a look and wanted to ask the following..

1. What happens if the money available to match your bet at Smarkets is less than you want to bet?

2. How do I find the best bet to play my free bet? (struggling to find something that gives me 80% any tips).

Thank you!

• New to matched betting?

My Matched Betting Academy is the best place to get started. Learning the fundamentals takes 10-15 minutes and you’ll make £15 in the process.

Learning the fundamentals takes 10-15 minutes and you’ll make £15 in the process.

Pavlon 3

Hi mighty
    With Smarkets, you need to wait until there is enough cash in the lay pot.
    With the free bets, you have to find long odds (around 7.0+) before you’re going to hit an 80% return – that might be inplay betting on a football score, or betting on a horse just 5 mins before a race starts. Also handy to use oddsmonkey and filter by bookie.
    Good luck!

+0
    mighty 0

Ah right thank you. So..

1. Smarkets won’t let you bet until there is enough to match your bet?

2. That makes sense I’m looking around now and best I can find is 70%.

Additional question… When using Odds Monkey… Do you always get the best returns on the bets with the highest “rating”?

Thank you in advance.

+0
    Pavlon 3

1 – yes, that’s correct. If there is £10 under lay odds of 2.0 and then £15 to the right at 2.1, and then there are betting odds of 1.9 with £30, and then say you put down £45 lay at 2.0, then you’ll take the £10 at 2.0, and then the green box on the left, rather than saying 1.9, it will say 2.0 with £35. You’re effectively then offering someone else better betting odds than the 1.9. You then have to wait for someone to accept it.

Not sure I follow completely on the other question. I think the % rating takes into account the % commission you pay, so assuming the odds are accurate, you can tell the % you would profit/lose on a stake-returned bet. This is not the case for free bets, where you need the longer odds – but you can filter this on oddsmonkey.

+0
    mighty 0

Thank you for your help appreciate it! I am new to the rules of betting never mind matched betting. When using my free bet how do I pick out the best odds to make over 75% back? Any tips?

+0
    Coco Popo 0

The ratings on Oddsmonkey is a good indication, but you also need odds of 3.5+

Generally nearer the event the exchange odds get better, so you will find better matches. Ffor horse racing in the 10 mins before you can see big odds changes, and therefore find good matches.

If there’s not enough money (liquidity) then your bet will be unmatched, you may so more funds available at worse odds. You can cross check with betfair too.

+0
    mighty 0

For the “free bets” in play is best but I am still struggling to find them that give 80%. You cannot use oddsmonkey when in play? Is it a case of selecting a match opening the tab of the match from the bookie you have a free bet with, then another tab open with smarkets and flicking between the two to get something that 80%?
    Thank you

+0
    beh 7

In play odds tend to be poor, ~70% is perhaps more realistic. Depends on the current score, if it were 0-0 and approaching HT I go for “over 3.5” and correct score markets for decent liquidity and odds of 6+.

Keep a close eye on things for a few minutes to get a feel for the changing odds. Don’t get too hung up on achieving close odds, 0.5 difference is often as good as it gets. Better to be quick/decisive rather than spend forever dithering.

+0
    Rod 0

I noticed the liquidity on smarkets has dried up lately, not sure why or if it will improve so i used another exchange to lay the bets. Smarkets is probably the best for matched betting if the liquidity is there. Hopefully it should improve soon though. sometimes if your struggling with your free bet, other exchanges have a bigger selection of markets to lay against your free bet that smarkets doesn’t. I rarely do this though as i can usually find a price on smarkets to lay for one of the more normal markets like correct score etc.

I usually settle for 70% from the free bet as it’s a lot harder than suggested on here at times to extract 80% at times. and i waste too much time and have a couple of times missed the boat entirely looking too long to get an extra 60p ish.

+0
    mighty 0

Thanks guys! Yes I’m of the same opinion I searched for about an hour and found nothing better than 70% which I could find before the match! Think I’ll settle for 70% for now do it before the match then can enjoy. Cheers

+0
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.